First Annual Psychology Alumni Conference Held at Trinity
Alumni gathered on campus in April to attend the 1st Annual Trinity Christian College Psychology Alumni Conference. They joined professors, colleagues, and current students in this opportunity to present research, share findings, and address issues of interest.
Keynote speaker at the event was Dr. Art Jongsma Jr. ’63, executive director of Life Guidance Services in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Jongsma, author of more than 50 treatment planning books for mental health professionals, presented “The Six Hats I Have Worn as a Psychologist.”
Other alumni presenters were Gloria Bernard ’06, Tim Kastner ’06, Andra McCrory ’06, and Heather (Martin) Vredevoogd ’05.
The conference, which was sponsored by Trinity’s psychology club, endeavored to —
- Provide alumni with an opportunity to present their work to the Trinity community
- Enable alumni to network with other psychology alumni
- Provide role models for current Trinity psychology majors and inform them of the many career options available
- Provide public education related to psychological science and its social applications
- Maintain the connection between alumni and psychology department faculty
The conference concluded with a panel discussion with former professor Dr. Arlo Compaan and current psychology faculty Drs. Michael DeVries ’74, Dick Cole, Mary Lynn Colosimo, and Derrick Hassert.
DeVries, professor of psychology since 1977, called the conference a “great success” and said the department plans to make this an annual event. Next year’s conference will be April 4, 2009.
“We all learned a lot from the presentations,” said psychology student Kelly Barnes ’08 of Dyer, Indiana. “I look forward to some year coming back as an alumni presenter.”
Homepage | News & Events