Homecoming 2009 Highlights
“It was great to see so many different faces around campus,” said Travis Bandstra ’06, director of alumni relations, of this year’s February Homecoming. “I ran into alums from many different states and from every decade--from this past year through the ’60s.
“The alumni office hopes to build off the momentum from past homecomings, as well as to showcase the outstanding additions and renovations on campus, in order to broaden the activities that make up this great weekend.”
NEW THIS YEAR! Homecoming makes its transitional move to the fall on October 3 and 4 in conjunction with the College’s 50th anniversary Jubilee! celebration at Navy Pier on October 2.
Presidential Alumni Dinner
Recipients of the Alumni of the Year and Honorary Alumni awards were honored at the Presidential Alumni Dinner on February 6, the first day of Homecoming weekend events.
Alumni of the Year
- Dr. Richard ’76 and Patty ex ’75 De Jong
- David Ribbens, former athletics director and head coach at Trinity for 23 years
- Anita Visser, staff member in Trinity’s business office for 15 years
- Steve & Kathy Westra, friends of the College and parents of former students
Seerveld Gallery Dedication
Alumni, faculty, and current students gathered to hear Dr. Calvin Seerveld speak during the dedication of the art gallery named in honor of this former Trinity professor and his wife Ines. The dedication also provided the opportunity for many who had not yet done so to tour the new Art and Communication Center.
Athletics Hall of Fame Banquet
The Trinity Christian College Athletics Hall of Fame inducted three new members during Homecoming festivities:
- Kara Bruxvoort ’03—A standout on the women’s basketball team from 1999-2003, she is currently Trinity’s all-time leading scorer with 2,771 points.
- Steve Hilbelink ’81—A member of the men’s soccer program from 1977-80, he became the sports information director in 1981 and served in that capacity until 1996.
- Jonathan Lenarz ’97—After playing for the men’s soccer team from 1994-96 when he was named Trinity’s first NCCAA Player of the Year, he returned to the College to coach women’s soccer in 1998 and men’s soccer from 2002-03.
Men’s and Women’s Basketball Games
The men's basketball team defeated Purdue University-North Central 83-65, continuing their eight-game winning streak. The women’s basketball team posted a 66-33 win against IIT in front of the Homecoming crowd. Thanks to TrollNation and all the fans who supported the teams.
Alumni 3-On-3 Basketball Tournament
The tournament kicked-off Saturday’s full day of events with 11 teams participating in two divisions. Winning teams and their members:
Scott Plaisier ’04, Bear Timmer ’05, and Dean Nauta ’06
Gino Desruisseaux ’07, Dave Van Steenis ’07, and Chad Ritchard ’08
Alumni and their families enjoyed a variety of activities, including the Melikin Puppets in the new Marg Kallemeyn Theatre, a pizza party at the ever-popular Mama Vesuvio’s, and an evening of improv with Candy in Church, a hilarious group of Trinity alumni and other local talent.
Homepage | News & Events